Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Pink Tomato Sauce

So, I'm on a diet.

My diet doesn't start tomorrow... it started today.

I told myself that I would have as much eating fun as I wanted to during my culinary school months, and then I would diet. I mean, when you're surrounded by some of the best chefs in America, teaching you how to make foods in the best possible ways, it would just be plain wrong not to try everything.

Welp, I'm now a graduate of the International Culinary Center... I've had my fun and games... my pants have gotten tight... winter is slowly coming to a finish (very slowly... NYC has the longest winters known to man-remember, I'm a Texan)... bathing suit season is upon us... and it is now time for me to get back in shape.

Therefore, all of those hibernating recipes that I use during my dieting seasons have to awaken from their slumber... but that's not a bad thing... not bad at all.

One of the best ways to cut calories is to replace high calorie carbs with vegetables. In this recipe, I substitute spaghetti squash for noodles-and you know what? I really don't miss the noodles. I ESPECIALLY don't miss that tumbling-over-tired-full-feeling you get once you've eating a big bowl of pasta. Spaghetti squash has basically no calories (1 cup is 42 calories), AND it's in the shape of spaghetti! I just love it.

Also the sauce is very low calorie, for marinara sauces made the right way usually are. Plus, instead of ground beef, I used my favorite protein: ground turkey! I also loveee cooking with canned tomato products (they are canned at their peak ripeness so the nutritional elements aren't taken away), greek yogurt (so versatile), and Truvia instead of sugar.






So this is one of my favorite recipes for when you're craving pasta and dieting. 
Or not dieting... it's just that good.











Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Pink Tomato Sauce


Ingredients:

Pasta:
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1 yellow onion, chopped fine
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or 2 if you want a little extra spice)
11/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
2 cups ground turkey meat (97% lean)
1/2 cup parmesan romano grated cheese
3 packets Truvia (or another calorie-free sweetener) - sugar cuts the acidity of the tomato 
1 15 oz. can tomato puree
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 of a 6 oz. can of tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock
2 dollops plain greek yogurt 2% (about 4 tablespoons)
salt and pepper, to taste

Spaghetti Squash:
1 spaghetti squash (4-8 lb)
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Garnish:
a handful of organic Tamari Pumpkin Seeds (if desired) 

Procedure:
  1. Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat. add garlic, chopped onion, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, paprika, and italian seasoning. Sweat the onions, garlic, and seasonings in the oil until onions are soft and spices are infused into the oil. 
  2. Once the onion has softened, add the ground turkey meat and cook until the meat, breaking meat apart into little pieces with a wooden spoon. Once meat is cooked through, add the parmesan romano cheese, Truvia, tomato puree, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock, and greek yogurt. Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Continue to simmer on low heat in order to allow the flavors to cook together, about 20-30 minutes. Season to taste. 
  3. While the pasta sauce is simmering, cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise with a large knife (careful!). Remove seeds with a spoon. Pour 1/2 cup of water into each spaghetti squash and cover the top with plastic wrap. Place cut side up in microwave and cook on high for 10-12 minutes. Remove and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Remove plastic and dump out any excess water into the sink. With a fork, comb out the spaghetti strands into a bowl. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix to combine. 
  4. Divide cooked spaghetti squash into bowls and top with pink tomato sauce. Garnish with Tamari pumpkin seeds, if desired. 
  5. Guiltlessly enjoy! Devin did...
And a grateful shout out to the gal above for the exceptionally thoughtful "Cooking with Casey" wooden spoons... that's why you my bestie, gurllll
XOXO, 
Casey 



3 comments:

  1. We love Spaghetti squash too, but your sauce looks way yummier than mine, I may have to steal this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there is one vegetable I can't live without...its SQUASH! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each and every time I cook this dish for my family or friends everyone LOVES it!

    ReplyDelete