Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Jolly Ginger Cocktail


I'm a sucker for a sweet cocktail.

The problem with this is that sweet cocktails should be called "high calorie cocktails" or "yes I'm tasty but if you keep drinking me I'll add 10 pounds to ya realll fast" cocktails.

...but I've solved this problem for ya. 

The answer is Splenda simple-syrup. It's easy, sweet, and is the perfect addition to any sweet cocktail that your sweet heart desires.

This particular drink was inspired by my love for ginger-ale... oh, and get this: it's only 80 calories per drink, purely from the alcohol content. That fact alone can make a girl very, very jolly (hint the name). 

...and if you happen to be one who isn't too keen on alcohol, then this is a 0 calorie drink. Your welcome.

Also, I measured this drink out by cups. I know that isn't too professional... but I'm more of a baker than I am a bartender and I'm sure many of you can relate. A baker who enjoys her sweet cocktails. 

 ~ I'll take this drink stirred ~






Just call me the "Skinny Girl Cocktail Protege"  ((watch out Bethenny!))


Don't you love my whiskey Mad Men glasses I got at Bed, Bath, & Beyond on sale for $2 each? 

Oh, and fellow foodie, while you're sipping up (it's whatever o'clock somewhere), check out this article that I found very interesting, and very, very true (good thing I don't blog about restaurants).


The Jolly Ginger


Serves: 4 Cocktails

Ingredients:
Ginger Syrup: (serves 4)
1 ginger root, peeled, roughly cut into 1-inch matchstick-sized pieces
2 cups water, boiling
2 cups Splenda

Per each cocktail:
Ice Cubes
½ cup Sparkling Water (I prefer Pellegrino)
½ cup Ginger Syrup
¼ cup Vodka
Lime (cut wedges for the glass)
A cute straw

Ginger Syrup
  1.  Place cut ginger in boiling water and continue to boil for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let ginger steep for another 30 minutes.
  2. Once steeped, drain ginger water into another sauce pan and bring to a boil.
  3. Add Splenda to boiling water and mix to dissolve (it dissolves quickly). Boil for another minute. Turn off heat.
  4.  Allow ginger syrup to cool, then transfer to a covered container and refrigerate.

Cocktail
  1. For each cocktail, add a few pieces of ice. On top of the ice, pour sparkling water, ginger syrup, and vodka into the glass and stir with a cute straw. Serve with lime wedge. Sip up! 

XOXO,
Cutting Calories Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment